As part of our ‘playing’ process towards the start of the devised project, we realised that we wanted to include some form of shadow puppetry within the performance. We weren’t really sure how to go about this so we went away one evening and all created some 2D puppets out of card and acetate, which related to the play in someway.
I chose the rat and a drum set, as I imagined those to be toys which come out of the toy box at the start.
Once we had all brought them in, we played with them onto a large screens which we found in the theatre, using various sources of light. We also decided to manipulate different objects such as bottle openers and feathers in order to see what they looked like as a shadow. Both the handmade puppets, and the objects casted some really lovely effects and I feel like this was the moment we knew we wanted to 100% include shadow puppetry within our devised piece.