Final Set Design.

Once we had completed the set on the Tuesday deadline we were all incredibly relieved and proud. Despite our group separating to perform individual tasks to begin with, I felt we showed great teamwork towards the end of the project when it came to actually putting it together. We often stayed late, or worked through dinner time in order to get it finished as we were all passionate about getting the final result we wanted.

It was also really nice to see the work the other groups had done too, and how they showcased it to people by using actions, lighting and music. I think that everyone was really happy with the way their sets turned out.

IMG_0429 IMG_0431 IMG_0434 IMG_0436 IMG_0438 IMG_0440

Advertisements

Constructing the steel decking, and attaching the flats…

Once all of the flats has been built, we then had to contract the steel decking in order to have the two levels to our design. With help from Adam, Mick and Ollie, we attached the flats to the decking and put our bar in place. It was interesting to note how effective the use of props and lighting were; it really brought the scene to life and I felt this was just as important as the set itself. The flats looked really good when they were upright, and Sandra helped us with finishing touches such as the door, to make the set look extra professional.

IMG_0411 IMG_0412 IMG_0416 IMG_0418 IMG_0419

Creating the bar…

As a last minute project, we decided to create a bar out of some leftover wood. We used quite a simple design, and measured as we went along with help from Mick. We used hinges in order for the bar to be able to move, and added supporting legs which held the structure together. We painted it with a base of an orangey, tangerine colour and then went over with a mahogany style effect using a paintbrush. It was mostly Jess who worked on the bar and I think it looked really effective in the end. Annie added some black diamonds onto the sides for a patterned look, and finally we glazed the whole thing to make it look shiny and realistic.

IMG_0354 IMG_0421

Mixing colours…

A lot of effort went into mixing colours, and matching paint to the original colours on Abi’s design. Something which I have learnt from this part of the project, is that elements of the design change all the time, and something which you have worked on may not necessarily end up being used, or it could be changed last minute. This happened numerous times, for example we created an AutoCAD drawing for a wallpaper stencil, however it worked out better to actually freehand the design onto the canvas.

IMG_0341 IMG_0342 IMG_0343 IMG_0353

Painting the floor…

The floor was one of my favourite parts to do, as it involved more painting than constructing so it was a nice break to be able to spend time working on that. We firstly primed the floor with a creamy coat, and then sprayed over it with a yellow ocre. We then gave it a glaze so that it would have the desired wood effect. Once we had done this we divided the floor into panels, like planks of wood, and masking taped the edges so we could get clear lines. I mixed a browny shade and watered it down to the right consistency; it needed to be slightly watery for the graining tools but not too watery that it would become transparent. We applied the brown onto the dried floor surface, using wide and chunky brushstrokes. We then used the graining tools to create the wood effect, and I was really impressed with the results. We did this all across the surface of the floor, and then added a few dark browns for shading on the corners of the planks.

IMG_0352

Creating the flats…

We created a cutting list and started to construct the actual structures for the flats which involved using a variety of tools. I found I adapted to this method of working quite easily, as we all designated jobs to each other and worked independently for time management purposes. Once we had the frames for our flats, we covered them either in MDF or canvas and primed them to be painted.

IMG_0300 IMG_0330 IMG_0299