Storyboarding

When we had decided which scenes we wanted and whereabouts in the theatre we wanted to create them, Ge drew up a large storyboard so we could refer back to it and help us clarify our ideas.

It included ideas for the set design, props, costume and lighting. I feel like once this was drawn up it helped us to make decisions on what was, and wasn’t needed as we had that visual image in our head.

Shadow Puppetry

As part of our ‘playing’ process towards the start of the devised project, we realised that we wanted to include some form of shadow puppetry within the performance. We weren’t really sure how to go about this so we went away one evening and all created some 2D puppets out of card and acetate, which related to the play in someway.

I chose the rat and a drum set, as I imagined those to be toys which come out of the toy box at the start.

IMG_2245

Once we had all brought them in, we played with them onto a large screens which we found in the theatre, using various sources of light. We also decided to manipulate different objects such as bottle openers and feathers in order to see what they looked like as a shadow. Both the handmade puppets, and the objects casted some really lovely effects and I feel like this was the moment we knew we wanted to 100% include shadow puppetry within our devised piece.

Object Theatre

Towards the start of the devising process we experimented with different objects and how we could use them as part of a narrative. We went down to the props store, we brought objects in from home, and we basically used what we could find to tell a story.

We thought about things such as symbolism within the objects; red for a soldier, delicate objects like ribbons or feathers for a dancer. We also thought about sounds and how that could change things, therefore we starting looking at the snipping noise of scissors and what connotations that had. We created small pieces of narrative using the scissors as an aggressive, menacing sound which is one of the things which led to our final monster idea.

We performed numerous times, the things which we had discovered with the objects and I feel like this period of ‘playing’ really helped us to connect with the objects and understand how we could use them more professionally, but still retaining the playful element.

Another thing which we look at right at the start, was the manipulation of fabric. We had two different pieces of organza, one blue and one orange, and we really liked the effect they gave when manipulated to represent different things. The orange created a glowing fire effect when lit with an orange light, and the blue moved like the sea when held under a fan, or manipulated by hand.